Old September 20th 14, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Default Twin Astir Retractable gear door mechanism pictures

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:41:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Here (http://www.fsv2000.at/newssystem/frameNews.php?id=1509) are some pictures of the parts with some details visible:

http://www.fsv2000.at/newssystem/ima...s/TwinFW_7.jpg

http://www.fsv2000.at/newssystem/ima...s/TwinFW_3.jpg

If I remember correctly (my club used to own one, and the gear doors needed regular repairs), the right gear door (the small one) is kept closed by a spring and simply pushed open when the asymmetric gear system swings to the right to put the gear down.

The left gear door (the large one) is actuated by a long (more or less 5-6 inches) push-rod bolted to a metal tongue welded on the rear side of the steel tube rectangular structure that surrounds the wheel.

Be aware that there are at least two variants of the retracting system...

Steph is correct. There is one version using mostly Aluminum parts, which some regard as a weak point. There is also an approved modification which opens the gear-doors and keeps them up high thus reducing the risk of breaking them in tall grass.

Uli
GM