Old August 30th 05, 01:07 PM
Geoff Vincent

Hi all high altitude pilots,

I've been using a Pulse-Ox 5500 oximeter for all wave flights over the
last few months and, as the Diner's Club advert says, "wouldn't leave
home without it". It has enabled me to calibrate my personal oxygen
take-up physiology so as to maintain satisfactory SPO2 levels at all
times. In particular it has emphasised the importance of a good
steady breathing routine to maintain steady SPO2 levels. It is very
easy to lapse into a lazy breathing routine and see your SPO2 levels
fall by 7-10 percentage points, usually when you can least afford it.
The only "problem" encountered so far was my announcement at FL 245
that I was commencing descent and blood oxygen saturation was 96% -
only I said "blood alcohol level" in error!! No wonder I wasn't
feeling the cold.

Geoff Vincent
Grampians Soaring Club
Australia

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:23:36 GMT, "Vaughn"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gerhard,

I bought a Nonin oxymeter about four years ago and really like having
one for several reasons:

I have a Nonin oxymeter and find that it has a real visibility problem in
the cockpit when under full sun. The problem is that it uses a red LED display
(remember those early digital watches?) rather than an LCD display. Otherwise,
it is an amazing device.

While these portable units are good for occasional checks, a panel mounted
unit with an ear clip might allow continuous monitoring. Another idea (Bose are
you listening?) include an oxymeter with an audible alarm in an aviation
headset.

This is a link for oxymeters that showed up here a few months ago.
http://www.scantechmedical.com/pulse_oximeters.htm I have never done business
with them and have no connection.

Vaughn