Old November 4th 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Dakota Lithium Batteries in Gliders?

On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 4:29:05 PM UTC-5, John Johnson wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 1:45:05 PM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:

I bought one earlier this year for another application. Seems to be performing per specs using actual data from this meter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a similar meter every time I charge my my glider's LiFePo battery. I basically monitor the total Ah's required to fully charge the battery versus the amount of time my master switch was on and instruments were powered up. Any significant change indicates either my glider's power demand changed or the battery's capacity is changing. This is a great early warning method commonly used with RC models to let you know the on-going health of your battery.

BTW: I use a cheaper brand meter (https://www.amazon.com/Analyzer-Digi.../dp/B0753DPC2D) which appears identical in function..

JJ

I also stick the meter in the glider from time to time to test out real-world current draw. With my set of instruments, I draw about 1.26A to 1.28A when the battery is fully charged and everything is on (Clearnav, Clearnav Vario, Dittel Radio, Trig Transponder, Flarm). That changes a little if we happen to have a "chatty" task, but it's good to know what that number is.