Old August 22nd 03, 04:11 AM
Steve B

Jamey... thanks for the info regarding the Carat. I am looking forward
to hearing how the Carat flys and opinions of the design from the one
that just arrived in Minden. I placed my order for the Motor Sailplane
recently and until it is built I will have entertain myself in the
virtual world getting impressions from other flyers that are fortunate
to fly one.

For my location in Hawaii having a reliable 4 stroke 4 cyl engine will
add a safety margin that will make the flying easier and more
enjoyable for my situation. Off field landings in Lava are not an
option.

I am curious were your Carat will be located? Hopefuly you will be
flying in the near future and can forward comments on the Ship.

Thanks
Steve

(Jamey Jacobs) wrote in message . com...
Steve
I am also getting a Carat (s/n 010) and have talked with many people
about the Discus wing. You are right that it is based on the Discus
BM wing (no ballast capacity) and it also uses the horizontal
stabilizer and (I think) control mechanisms. The most common feedback
I have received is that "the wing's the thing" and if Technoflug/AMS
have set it up right, the flying characteristics should be quite
similar to a moderately ballasted Discus - with a little more drag.
The polars published on the
www.technoflug.de site (tests conducted by
German akafleig) look like this is the case. The AMS polars in their
brochure are a bit more optimistic, but were tested on a better sealed
ship with winglets.

There is a great article by Dick Johnson on the Discus performance
(http://www.ssa.org/Magazines/Johnson.asp) and he shows that sealing
is important and the higher speed performance shows better than normal
improvement with a heavier wing loading. Of course, the Discus is
widely recognized as one of the nicest handling, most foregiving
standard class ships. Many clubs allow low time pilots to fly them.
This is reported to be applicable to the Carat based on the (possibly
biased) reports by Oliver Dyer-Bennet and Matjaz Slana (Yahoo!
caratmotorglider discussion group). They both say that it retains the
light "fingertip" control and excellent harmonization of the Discus.

I'm also very interested in this group's comments on the Discus wing
characteristics, and I look forward to others' responses.

The first Carat-A in the US will be flown at Minden this, or next
weekend depending on getting paperwork through FAA. I'll push for a
flight report to be published on the caratmotorglider group.

Regards
Jamey Jacobs

(Steve B) wrote in message . com...
I am curious about opinions of the Discus B wing design. I would like
to know what thoughts there are about the performance and qualities of
the Discus Wing.

I am purchasing a Carat made by AMS. It is powered Self Launch
Sailplane. The Carat looks like a blend of Motor Glider and Sailplane
with more of an emphasis on the motor off aspects... real decent
performance from what I am finding. I would just like to get familiar
with the wing design. I think it may be the Discus BM wing that is
used for the ship.

Thanks
Steve