Old January 23rd 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default AC Williams -Final Glide

Back in 1969, I was an 18-year-old 1-26 pilot in my first national
contest (and with only a few cross country flights). We spent most of
the contest that year on the grid waiting for the weather to clear so I
had lots of time to look around. I discovered that most pilots had
removed the large wingtip wheels that were a common feature of
Schweizer gliders. So, as an aspiring champion, I got out my socket
wrench and did the same thing. I didn't know what to do with the single
bolt (about 1/4" dia., as I recall) so I simply screwed it back in the
wingtip. I didn't quite tighten down all the way to the wing skin but,
hey, we're talking about a 1-26. I doubt the wing wheel itself made any
difference in performance, much less a little bolt head sitting proud.

A.C. walked over the next morning and looked at my wingtip critically,
not saying anything. I took the bait and scrambled to my feet.

"You gonna leave those bolts in there like that?" he asked thoughtfully

I was intimidated. And embarrassed. A.C.'s reputation in the 1-26 world
was large. I'd obviously committed a faux pas. This was the national
contest and these guys were serious. If I wanted to play in their
league, I'd better get serious, too. So out came the tool box and the
wrench and, soon, the little bolt in each wing tip.

When I was finished, I happened to look over at A.C. sitting by his
plane. He had this little thoughtful but not unkind smile on his face.
This was an earlier, more innocent age. It was a while before I
realized I'd been psyched out.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"