Old May 7th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

You're so full of **** and deception, Steve. Here is my original post:

The "rule" is that direct routes initiated by ATC are limited to the
service volume of VOR (or rarely, NDBs) and the controller can assure
that MIAs will not be violated.

You're the one that introduced "AGL altitudes."

Do you have clue about the term "intellectual honesty?"

I sure do. Do you have a clue about the term "service volume"? I suggest
you review AIM paragraph 1-1-8 and figures 1-1-1 through 1-1-5 and then tell
me if the various altitudes given for the service volumes are AGL or MSL.

Failure to respond will be perceived as a lack of intellectual honesty.

Irrelevant. Table 4-1-1 in 7110.65 is predicated on MSL altitudes, and
that is what ATC uses.

Route procedure design (read AVN, not ATO) indeed uses service volumne
predicated on the elevation of a VOR or NDB where necessary.
Controllers do not. The context of the thread was ATC procedures for
direct routing.