Old November 21st 03, 10:42 PM
SeeAndAvoid

Price: I got it for $995. It lists for $1195, A/C Spruce had it for over
$1,200. When I asked if they matched their competition (Pacific Coast
Avionics $995, but out of stock) they said they would, and did.

Size: from their website http://surecheck.net/five/avionics/ it says
Dimensions Length
Height
Width 5.36" (136.2 mm)
2.00" (50.8 mm)
3.65" (92.7 mm)

Length would be Depth, so yoke mounting would be tough.
There are instructions for panel mounting it, but I see a couple problems
with that. First you have to get an external antenna, either the one they
offer that you put on the inside of you window (kinda strange for a panel
mounted avionic) or a fin antenna on the bottom of the airplane. Next, you
can't change out the batteries easily if you had to. Next, if power is lost
and theres a plug for power plugged in, the unit will NOT operate, even if
you have fresh batteries in it. I see this as a flaw, panel mounted or not.
The manual reads "Battery power will be bypassed when a plug is inserted
into the power jack, even if no current is supplied." Perhaps in the future
they could maybe have some kind of indication that power has been lost and
is running on battery power. Like my Ipaq, or my Bluetooth GPS, or my old
Airmap300.

In the future I may mount it to the bottom of the overhang in the top of my
panel. It sticks out far enough to do this and the unit has a couple holes
on the sides to use thumbscrews and some kind of mounting bracket. I'd have
to use their external antenna though. So far though it'd block my top
flight instruments, or on the right my fuel gauges. For now it's up top.

Chris

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Thanks for the PIREP.

Two questions:

1. Price?
2. Size?

Have you thought about yoke-mounting it?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA