Old August 26th 04, 06:23 PM
For Example John Smith

Maybe I'm failing in making the argument, but what I'm trying to say is that
a) the differences in performance between modern ships are tiny (no
handicapping required)
b) the annual incremental advance is small
c) the population of modern ships is large (enough)
Therefore, there's no need to design & build a WC ship--we already have two
designs that qualify--15M and Standard.

Brent
"Gary Boggs" wrote in message
But then we're back to having to have the latest (most expensive) design

be competitive. I always thought that one of the reasons to have an

Olympic
contest was to test the pilots, not the plane or the pocket book. Having

handicapped contest would open it up to more than just those who could
afford the latest designs.

"For Example John Smith" wrote in message

"Gary Boggs" wrote in message

So why do we have to have a one design contest for the Olympics?

That's exactly my point and it sounds like you and Eric at least agree

Why not just make it a handicapped contest using the current fleet?

Here we have a minor disagreement. Eric and I are saying that no
handicapping is required. We (the sport of soaring) just define 15m as

monoclass and Standard as a monoclass.

There, now we're ready. Olympics 2008 will include 2 sailplane racing
classes - Standard and 15 Meter.
Oops, forgot rules. Same as for the World's I suppose?