View Single Post
Old July 11th 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default DG-101 - increase performance/sealing/winglets(?)

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 9:40:39 PM UTC+1, Nick Gilbert wrote:
Rudder, aileron and elevator (or trim tab if all-flying tail) are easy to do and should help. I've heard it said by people who know what they're talking about that with these old profiles it maybe useful to put turbulators on the top surface of the wing - but then it's a pain to clean & the potential difference is negligible anyway.

I've never seen a DG100/101 with winglets - perhaps DG may produce a NEO kit one day?

Something i've always wondered about with mine, there is clearly an extreme amount of washout at the wingtips - at anything above about 80 knots the tips begin to bend downward a large amount. Perhaps winglets might relieve some of the drag caused by the washout at high speed, while still retaining it's good manners?

Nick.

It is pointless installing turbulator tape or winglets on any glider wing unless you have clear experimental aerodynamic evidence for your glider type that the exact turbulator position and/or the design and installation of the winglets actually does more good than harm - the latter is quite possible in both cases otherwise.