Old November 7th 03, 05:00 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message
Frank Whiteley wrote [snip] " we pulled all of the
wire from the drum and found it to be collapsing inward under the strain
of
launching the Twin Astir and L-13 under more power than the winch had
been
designed for."

This happened to another club, and I am concerned it might to us too.
What did you do do to fix it - could the ATC-type drum be suitably
reinforced to prevent it, or did it need a new drum which would no doubt
be of heavier material or with added stiffeners inside?

Chris N.

It was repaired with steel pipe of a suitable diameter and thickness by the
late Robyn Pierce-Boby and Larry Green(e?). Since Enstone GC is defunct, I
have no idea how to contact Larry. Someone like Ken Sparkes may be able to
help with contacting Larry. I don't have the specific details, but the pipe
was cut to a suitable length and split into two halves and clamshelled
around the existing drums. Once welded into place, it was turned true and
balanced. Seemed to do the trick though I originally thought it inelegant
and perhaps trickier than just making new drums.

Frank Whiteley