Old December 6th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default If I die...

Dudley Henriques wrote:
The reason for this is complex and is much more deeply rooted in
professional aviation than it is in general aviation as that relates to
pilots who fly for pleasure.
In the professional community, many pilots don't like this sentiment.
First of all, it assumes that the person stating the sentiment knows or
knew the pilot in question well enough to make such a statement and in
almost every instance, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Well, first I posted a rather brusque response and then I read what you'd said.
I've almost died twice in my life: once cave diving (oddly enough for this
thread) and once in an airplane. I'd rather have a few seconds of terror
followed by the deep peace that comes with acceptance of impending death than to
sit in a nursing home waiting for my cancer to eat me alive.

So yeah, I'd rather go doing something I enjoyed even if it caused me momentary
pain. The alternatives aren't attractive. I used to joke that I hoped I would
go out at the hands of a jealous husband but I believe the window of opportunity
has slammed shut on me. Now the best I can hope for is to go in my sleep. Or
doing something I enjoy....

I would fully expect folks to discuss and dissect such an event. And I'd hope
others could learn something that might help them avoid a similar fate...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com