Old December 6th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Todd W. Deckard

Default If I die...

Paul,

it has always been a sore spot with me when the local coffee pot squadron
(or the usenet) folks
begin a spirited debate on a fresh accident that involves a fatality. I
believe the issue for me is the
timing and raw speculation proceeding real data.

In an effort to pave the way for aviation commerce the United States had the
foresight to develop an amazing
system to investigate accidents, disseminate any conclusions and make
adjustments in the regulations and
recommended operating procedures in response. Every time I respond to a
controller with the chant "maintain XXXXft until established on a published
portion of the approach" I am reminded of that system. It may not be
perfect, but it
is certainly the model. I *do* believe strongly that studying these
details is a component of our aviation learning
and certainly improve my personal safety. I wish people would sit down
with them in a quiet room and read them in the spirit of "there but for the
grace of God go I ..."

It is a fresh subject for me as I was an a recent pilot gathering and
everyone wanted to speculate about Dr. Mayo and the Faribault accident.
For my part I wanted to shout, there were two teenagers killed, and for all
you know a friend or relative is within earshot. Furthermore I doubt the
combined experience of the audience added up to his total flight hours --
that is what really chapped me.

There is something ignoble about the sense of gravitas and authority that
people assume with these things.
Its like the NASCAR crowd (the smallest component) that want something
dramatic to happen to fill some kind of Walter-Mitty void in their lives.
Some of the skydiving crowd really gave me the creeps in this regard.

Your posted "will and testament" is a noble one.

For my part, if I am killed flying -- come to my funeral and say something
nice -- if someone from the media asks you a question please don't say "he
was such a careful pilot" -- and later if the circumstances strike a nerve
then please delve into the accident details and conclusions offered by the
professionals. And if seeing my mistake spares you, then I'll congradulate
you in Heaven.

But if some nerd (wearing a sport's pilot shirt with epaulets his mother
sew'd on) runs to his computer 10 minutes after my accident I'll haunt you
from my grave.

Hah!
Todd

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message