Old December 6th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default If I die...

"Todd W. Deckard" wrote in
:

Paul,

it has always been a sore spot with me when the local coffee pot
squadron (or the usenet) folks
begin a spirited debate on a fresh accident that involves a fatality.
I believe the issue for me is the
timing and raw speculation proceeding real data.

In an effort to pave the way for aviation commerce the United States
had the foresight to develop an amazing
system to investigate accidents, disseminate any conclusions and make
adjustments in the regulations and
recommended operating procedures in response. Every time I respond
to a controller with the chant "maintain XXXXft until established on a
published portion of the approach" I am reminded of that system. It
may not be perfect, but it
is certainly the model. I *do* believe strongly that studying these
details is a component of our aviation learning
and certainly improve my personal safety. I wish people would sit
down with them in a quiet room and read them in the spirit of "there
but for the grace of God go I ..."

It is a fresh subject for me as I was an a recent pilot gathering and
everyone wanted to speculate about Dr. Mayo and the Faribault
accident. For my part I wanted to shout, there were two teenagers
killed, and for all you know a friend or relative is within earshot.
Furthermore I doubt the combined experience of the audience added up
to his total flight hours -- that is what really chapped me.

There is something ignoble about the sense of gravitas and authority
that people assume with these things.
Its like the NASCAR crowd (the smallest component) that want something
dramatic to happen to fill some kind of Walter-Mitty void in their
lives. Some of the skydiving crowd really gave me the creeps in this
regard.

Your posted "will and testament" is a noble one.

For my part, if I am killed flying -- come to my funeral and say
something nice -- if someone from the media asks you a question please
don't say "he was such a careful pilot" -- and later if the
circumstances strike a nerve then please delve into the accident
details and conclusions offered by the professionals. And if seeing
my mistake spares you, then I'll congradulate you in Heaven.

But if some nerd (wearing a sport's pilot shirt with epaulets his
mother sew'd on) runs to his computer 10 minutes after my accident
I'll haunt you from my grave.

Hear hear.

Bertie