Old May 22nd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gladiators of the Sky DVD

DVDs are regionalised. It wouldn't matter what system, PAL, NTSC or
SECAM you were using if you have a region 1 DVD player that has not been
deregionalised it will not play DVDs from other regions.

The regional codes are as follows:

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico,
South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa,
North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China

Many DVD players can be easily deregionalised, check the news groups or
websites that deal with this for details. My experience is that some
Sony players cannot be deregionalised. In the UK many DVD players are
sold already deregionalised, or the seller will tell you how to do it.
Typically pressing a bunch of the control buttons is all that is necessary.

I solved the problem by buying a deregionalised and code free
player/recorder unit from an outfit in Chicago.

However you needn't suffer all this pain if you play the DVD on a
computer that has a player such as Power DVD installed. This software
player is not regionalised. If your computer monitor is too small then
feed the output to an LCD projector.

I'm surprised that the SSA is selling a DVD with Aus/NZ region 4 coding.
John Roake is selling the Aus/NZ version. SSA should be selling
region 1 version.

Don't blame the TV formatting system, PAL/NTSC/SECAM, but the greed of
the movie makers who wish to prevent me buying cheap DVD movies in the
US and shipping them to friends and family in the UK and Asia.
Fortunately they have deregionalised DVD players, so their game doesn't
work with me.

Gladiators of the Sky is outstanding. I ordered mine from John Roake
and it is region 4, so it doesn't play on my very expensive Sony player,
but just fine on my deregionalised unit and my various computers.

kernow

wrote:
I just received "Gladiators of the Sky" from the SSA and was crushed
when my DVD player rejected the disk as incompatible (I live in
Florida).
Apparently, and understandably, its in a 'New Zealand' format: PAL.
In the US and Japan we follow the NTSC format. Fortunately my iMac
didn't gag on the disk and it is AWSOME. Unfortunately, I will not be
able to captivate unsuspecting friends and family in my living-room
with a big screen and surround sound with this incredible production.
Either I don't have the right friends or the right personality, but I'm
sure nobody will crowd around my computer screen in a confined space to
wittness such a spectacular sport. I've run out of adjectives but I
highly recommend the DVD in any format.
Gene
John wrote:

On 21/5/06 2:32 AM, in article