Old December 31st 18, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 2:53:38 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
And nothing beats wool for staying warm.Â* It even keeps you warm when
it's wet.Â* A little tidbit from arctic survival school...

On 12/29/2018 1:38 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I have done only a few flights above 13K' MSL in the east, never higher than that.
In other parts, 13K' MSL is a decent Soaring day.

So, I am NOT an expert!

Yes, metal rudder pedals can suck heat real fast.
Sunlight can help a lot.
Being damp (rigging, damp day, whatever.....) REALLY sucks heat.

I can only go by many years/miles hiking and likely lower flight altitudes for flying.
I will TOTALLY defer to others that think my "great altitude" is sorta the bottom of their "safe altitude".

Gotta think of where you are vs. where info is coming from.

--
Dan, 5J

Actually Dan, while wool is a great material for fabric, in technical uses it has been replaced by new technical fibers and will not absorb any water. I basically flying sailing clothes. Including wave flights in by leather sailing boots.