Old December 31st 18, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

Maybe things have changed (I don't doubt that newer fibers may be as
good as wool), but we were taught that leather was a terrible
insulator.Â* Maybe there's something inside your leather sailing boots
which insulates?

On 12/30/2018 9:01 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 2:53:38 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
And nothing beats wool for staying warm.Â* It even keeps you warm when
it's wet.Â* A little tidbit from arctic survival school...

On 12/29/2018 1:38 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I have done only a few flights above 13K' MSL in the east, never higher than that.
In other parts, 13K' MSL is a decent Soaring day.

So, I am NOT an expert!

Yes, metal rudder pedals can suck heat real fast.
Sunlight can help a lot.
Being damp (rigging, damp day, whatever.....) REALLY sucks heat.

I can only go by many years/miles hiking and likely lower flight altitudes for flying.
I will TOTALLY defer to others that think my "great altitude" is sorta the bottom of their "safe altitude".

Gotta think of where you are vs. where info is coming from.

--
Dan, 5J

Actually Dan, while wool is a great material for fabric, in technical uses it has been replaced by new technical fibers and will not absorb any water. I basically flying sailing clothes. Including wave flights in by leather sailing boots.

--
Dan, 5J