Old March 24th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Default Rod Machado's New PPL Manual

On Mar 24, 3:12 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
I have just received a copy of Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook
Second Edition from the publisher to review.

I haven't had a chance to read all of it yet, but just from what I've
seen thus far, I have no doubt whatsoever that I will be recommending
this book as a study manual to all student pilots.

This hard cover top quality heavyweight glossy paper
manual is the most well written and comprehensive work I have ever seen
done by anyone in the industry.

Throughout my career as a CFI I have always used and recommended Bill
Kershner's fine manuals, and these are still fine books today.
But what Rod has done with his books is absolutely amazing. The
presentation is not only accurate, but done with the "average person"
and "everyday pilot" in mind. Rod takes the most complicated of issues
and presents them intelligently and with a splash of humor that is
unbelievably educational. The drawings and graphics are exceptional.
I can't stress enough my positive opinion of this book.
--
Dudley Henriques

I have Rod M's Instrument book. It's very good - the only issue I have
with the book is that the layout is very busy -- even distracting.

Has the layout been tamed in the PPL texts?

I have one of each -- Jepp, ASA, Kershner -- and all the Gleim. I find
the Gleim's are good for just before the test (practical and
knowledge), the Jepps are the best designed and laid out, and the ASA
series is a very close second and much more reasonably priced.

The Kershner books are very good, but the presentation is dated,
compared to the ASA and Jepp.

Dan Mc