Old November 18th 04, 12:47 AM
John Carrier

Aileron loss is not as challenging as pitch control loss. You can roll most
airplanes with rudder to some degree, and with swept wing jets at high alpha
that is the only way it should be done.

The F-4 stabs would go full leading edge down with a dual PC failure,
causing an uncontrollable pitch up. BUT, with judicious use of rudder, you
could barrel roll the aircraft. Duke Cunningham did several such rolls to
get his damaged aircraft feet wet on 10 May, 1972. Full stab deflection in
most

I experienced a limited control jam in the F-14 in which I had insufficient
pitch authority to hold the nose up for level flight. We started a gradual
descent back to the beach (approx 100 miles) and the brief was we would roll
inverted to push the nose into a climb, get a little altitude, roll upright
to continue the descent, and so-on until we reached a reasonable ejection
point. Luck being a better asset than skill, the controls freed up after
about 50 miles and we very cautiously brought the jet back for a straight in
approach and landing.

R / John

"rottenberg" wrote in message
om...
"JD" wrote in message
Something like that happened to Yeager (I think) flying the F-86 (I
think)
out of Downy Field (I think) enroute to Edwards AFB (I think) in the
early
'50s. Someone here will know the story... I think. I don't think
you
could do that in an F-14 though.

JD

An incident is described in Yeager's book in which I think his
ailerons were locked, and it happened while he was inverted on a
low-level pass of a friend's cabin. Being Yeager, he used quick
thinking to deduce and correct the problem, unlocking the controls.
After a safe landing, the plane was taken apart and both it and other
planes that had been lost without explanation were tracked to the same
factory. There was some critical part - a linkage or something of
that sort - that had been intalled the wrong way by a single factory
worker who had been working so long that when he saw something in the
plans that didn't gibe with his experience, he ignored. Nobody was
telling him how to put planes together. Yeager notes that nobody told
him how many men he killed.