Old November 24th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Canadian Pilot wants U.S. Certificate

On Nov 24, 6:56*am, wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hopefully, you can help me get this figured out. *I'm going on a trip
to Florida next summer, and I'd like to fly a glider while I'm there
(I kept seeing gorgeous Cu's from Mickey-Mouse-Land). *I figured I
would get checked out in a Grob 103 and then go have some fun in a
Grob 102 or similar single-seater.

According to the FAA website, I just need to send an application form
along with a copy of my Canadian licence and medical for confirmation
and approval, then a visit to the Rochester FSDO to get the licence.

However, the Rochester FSDO says that I can't have a licence. *The
response is:

According to our guidance, we will be unable to process your request.

* "Some foreign CAAs have issued pilot licenses that do not identify
the
* grade of pilot license. *In those instances, do not issue a
U.S.pilot
* certificate. *The holder of that kind of foreign pilot license does
not
* meet ICAO standards for pilot certification."

* The Canadian glider certificate does not include the wording
"private"
* or "commercial". *Because of this we can not issue a US certificate
* based on your Canadian privileges.

So, I said, "Well, I have a 'Private Pilot - Aeroplane' licence and a
glider licence... can I please get a U.S. glider licence. *Again,
"No". *I can get a U.S. power licence and fly N# power planes, but
can't fly N# gliders. *(I can take my Canadian registered glider to
the U.S. and fly it on my Cdn licence, but not N# gliders).

There HAS to be some simple way for me to fly solo in the U.S., but
how?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
John

John:

The simplest way, since you plan to fly solo anyway (Grob 102) is to
fly on a student certificate. Any Designated Examiner or FSDO will
issue you a student certificate when you show then a photo ID
(driver's license with photo, or passport) and give them $10. You
will need to get checked out by the FBO, but you would anyway before
they'd rent you a glider (or at least that's the way we do it here at
SoaringNV in Minden.) The checkout will include a solo endorsement
that is good for 90 days, and off you go. Check with the FBO in
advance to make sure they agree with this procedure, but (like I say)
that's the way we do it here.

While you're mulling this over, you might consider getting an FAA
private glider certificate. It would require a written test (60
questions) and a flight check, but you're probably pretty much ready
for all that anyway. Once you have it, you can fly N number gliders
anywhere. If you plan on flying in the US several times (and why not,
we have some great flying here), it's probably a worthwhile
investment. You could probably do it in 4 days, and enjoy yourself in
the process. Write me directly if you'd like to schedule such an
endeavor here in Minden.

Fred LaSor
SoaringNV
Minden, NV