Old April 5th 05, 08:18 AM
Kensandyeggo

Mark wrote:
I have some basic questions about speeds of gyrocopters.

(Please forgive me if my questions are kind of basic. I'm currently

working
on my private pilot for airplanes, with long term goal of getting

into
gyros. I have a few hours time in gyros, but not enough yet to know

what
I'm talking about.)

Why is there such a wide range of max/cruise speeds for gyros? I

notice a
Barnett BRC540 2 place cruises at 110 with a top speed of 138.
An RAF Cruises at 70 with a max of 100.
Most single places seem to cruise between 45 and 80.

Why aren't there more fast single place gyros?

Other than a bigger engine, why can a Barnett go 138 compared to

RAF's 100?
What characteristics give it the stability to safely go faster? And

why
wouldn't they design those characteristics into other gyros?

If I have a design of a stable gyro that cruises at 50, what would

prevent
me from safely adding a bigger engine, re-doing my hang test, and

flying at
80 (for example).

If I build a gyro from a kit or plans, when I fly it how can I tell

when I'm
going faster than I safely should? (Other than reading designer's

specs.)
Do all gyros have a characteristic "feel" when getting to the edge?