Old September 27th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Default Puchacz reviews

Puchacz is an old glider. Go to the http://szd.com.pl/en/products/szd-50-3-puchacz web site and look at the published service bulletins. It is still being used as a primary trainer in many countries around the World. And since it was designed in the expanded aerobatic category it will spin quite happily. If flown as it supposed to be flown, it does not present any problems, but if someone flies it carelessly it will bite; eg. right rudder/left aileron. I have flown in the Puchacz in the very first prototype in 1977 and I still like it, but there are better gliders now-a-days.
In the "Gliding International" magazine there is an article about the SZD 54-2 Perkoz. If you can't get a copy, send me an email to jacek dot kobiesa at raypolandandsons dot com and I will get you a PDF copy of this article.
If you don't mine taking care of an old glider then the Puchacz (also known as the Ruchacz) is a OK, but if you prefer a modern glider designed and tested to the latest requirements, willing to have a flexible glider which is capable of almost full aerobatic capabilities and have a cross country machine (17.5 m for basic training with winglets, 17.5 m with standard tip for aerobatics, and 20 m for cross country), than the Perkoz is the way to go. Also, take a look at the PW-6U; its cost is about half of the Perkoz. Link to the Soaring Cafe article : http://soaringcafe.com/2012/04/world...ilplanes-dead/