Old September 26th 17, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:36:05 PM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 7:03:00 PM UTC-7, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 6:44:45 PM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Tom:

My setup is fine. I have my phone mounted on a plastic stalk in free air.

To see how often you really are sending data. Open one of your IGC files from IGCDroid in a text editor or program editor or a spreadsheet. You will find mostly B records which are the log points like this:

B2014193350894N11220607WA0180501804

The first part of the record is the log time. In this case 20:14:19 zulu.

Whenever data is successfully sent to glideport a comment record is included in the file indicating a successful send like this:

LPLT::SND

(note that other "LPLT::" comment lines do not relate to data sending)

So you can look at the B record above the SND tag to read the actual time of your successful sends. Not to be argumentative Tom, but If you actually take a look at one of your files, I think you're going to be surprised that there are significant gaps related to coverage -- especially when you're off flying in the mountains.

Thanks Steve, already knew that. It's quite obvious that when the phone switches to another cell tower their will be a momentary interruption in data sent. But again it has worked fine where ever I have used it. You did see the ? mark I put about the data being sent. Yet those that watched it at the SGP in Seminole last spring, reported it worked great. In Perry it also worked fine. As Evan said and it's been reported that it worked fine in New Castle. Don't tell them that where they fly those are hills and not mountains. Oh boy! In Alamogordo, I choose to respect those who say they have watched it and reported positive comments.

Maybe that plastic stick its stuck on needs a new location to help you with your problem :). We did a few trial and error locations and found several that worked better. Maybe try shallower bank angles and flying in sink might help you stay connected better. :).

Best. Tom. #711.

Tom, my friend:

I have positive comments about IGCDroid as well. I gave it a 5 star rating on google play. It's a great app. I love it.

Unfortunately the spacing of cell towers in remote areas won't let it get through reliably in the west. Cell towers use beam patterns designed to shoot horizontally along highways and within population centers.

We're not talking "momentary interruptions" Tom. Look at your most recent log file from Alamogordo and you shall know the truth.

http://find.mapmuse.com/map/cell-towers/near/NM

Map clearly shows our known cell tower locations. Enough said.