Old February 18th 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Mini LAK

A mini LAK with FES will be flying quite a bit higher than 35 kg/m^2. In Hungary all the Mini LAKS flew without FES and we're at the (silly) 35 kg/m^2 limit.

Check out the flight traces for the first day of the 2nd 13.5m WGC. the first turnpoint was directly in to the wind probably about 75km. Wind was at least 20 knots. The Mini LAKs made it. Thise of us in Silents did not.

There was another similar day about Day 8 or so, where the task was a double out and return along a strong NW wind. You can evaluate from the traces how the MiniLAKs handled it. I couldn't write make the last turnpoint into the wind and had to use the motor before the downwind run home.

My assessment from actual (brief) side by side in flight experience is that the miniLAK can work into the wind just fine.