Old July 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Morgans

"Wooduuuward" wrote in message

Okay, I know I'll get clobbered by BOb on this idea but here's
at it.
There was a guy in California who spent a lot of time tinkering with
propeller mechanics. Now this was done to figure out how to wring
out more energy from the wind for those electrical wind generators
who's designers seem to always copy the airplane propeller to catch the
energy from the wind.
Now I read this in Popular Science and was fascinated with his findings.
So much so that I wondered why the reverse couldn't happen.
Namely, take his redesigned wind machine propeller and use it on
an aircraft. The reason? He managed to prove his design could get
45% efficiency from the wind rather than the 12% from the airplane
propeller. Anyway, his working model impressed Popular Science Mag
enough to publish his results for wind generators.
So . . this propeller could make a 50 HP VW motor very . . . ?

*p.s. those % are from memory.

There you go again.

1. the airfoil on a wind generating prop has the camber on the opposite
side from an airplane prop. He was lucky to get 45%

2. The usual range of efficiency on an airplane prop is not 12%. It is
closer to saying 12% in-efficient!

There are LOTS of very smart people doing the propeller thing. You, or any
other backyard carver, will not improve on it.

Suggestion. Stick around and just read for a year or so, without posting.
You will be amazed at how much you learn you didn't know.
--
Jim in NC