Old October 29th 03, 02:43 PM
Charlie Smith

I built a 25X35 shop about three years ago in Indiana. No building codes
applied so I could do what I wanted. I made it pole (4X6 pressure treated)
and put 6" concrete at the base of the poles to act as footers. I did not
use any other footer. I framed between the poles with 2X4 and have a 4"
concrete floor. Walls are insulated and finished in drywall as is the
ceiling (R25 blanket there). It has one 9 foot garage door, a standard 32"
entry door and four windows plus a standard shingle roof. As I did all the
work myself, I have no estimate of labor but I think I have about $8000 in
all the materials. All materials were purchased new so you may be able to
do better with second-hand doors, windows, etc.

It can be cooled easily with an 18,000 BTU window AC and a 4kW electric wall
furnace is adequate for heating (except for cost) in all but the coldest
parts of winter.

Charlie Smith

"Joa" wrote in message
om...
For anybody that is in construction or that has researched affordable
hangar options....for an insulated steel sided and roofed hangar which
is more affordable to build- post style (pole barn) or traditional
stick (framed walls)?

Our EAA chapter built a traditional stick hangar and insulated between
the studs but a friend here at work built his hangar post style and
just squished the insulation between the cross pieces and the steel.

Ignore the hangar door (will use a sideways folding door on the gable
end).

Thanks.

Joa