Old October 29th 03, 07:15 PM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:45:16 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

You the one leaning on the shovel? :-)

What? Me get dirty? Not a chance. Besides it's not greasy enough

No, I'm the guy with little hair in a few farther down the page
working on some lay-ups.

What is a rat wall? Or rat wall type foundation?

If you look at the photo where the trench just inside the forms is
visible...they pour the floor and then right on over into that trench.

That forms the "rat wall" which is just an extension of the floor. In
my case it's 16 inches down. The reason for a "rat wall" which is a
lot like a shallow foundation is to ...discourage rats from making a
home under the floor which can be a real problem when you only pour a
slab.

Around here a true foundation would have only been about a foot deeper
and required one more course of cement blocks.

Your interior looks like some of the hangars on Millionaire Row, out at my
airport, ANE (Anoka-Blaine, MN). White metal on the inside walls, those are
the hangars that have Citations and King Airs in them.

That is painted "barn metal" and costs about the same as dry walling
the interior. Actually the barn metal is more expensive, but takes
far less labor to install. It's a whole lot easier on your back too.
:-)) Those sheets weight a fraction of a dry wall sheet.

You've measured, and the plane will fit out the door when finished, right?

That's going to be an interesting exercise. "THEORETICALLY" if the
landing gear is on dollies, I *should* be able to take it out corner
wise by sticking the tail in one corner next to the door, sliding the
nose out, sliding the whole works forward and then sliding it sideways
to take the tail out.

OTOH, the wing is separate until final assembly and I may do that at
the EAA building at 3BS. I would like to put it together and do the
engine testing before taking it to the airport. That would reduce the
final, final assembly to less than a week. I plan on doing the flight
testing, or at least the initial flight testing with the plane only
primered.

Then again, I have more concerns about being too old to fly it by the
time it's done, compared to getting it out of the shop. sigh

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)