Old January 4th 19, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default pure gliders with ads b?

I attended the the AOPA Fly-in at Santa Fe this year and spoke to both the Trig representative and some knowledgeable FAA folks about the ADS-B options for certified gliders vs. those with Experimental classification. The interpretation that the Trig 22 with the TN-70 is the only legal 2020 Compliant option for certified gliders came into question. After the FAA rep closely read the requirements, I was advised that the much cheaper TN-72 might be a viable choice. His interpretation indicated that a certified aircraft that is not absolutely required to install ADS-B Out (read: Glider), and does NOT have a generator fed electrical system would be considered legal with the TN-72.

Since this is the only time I have received this answer, and all other documentation I have seen indicates that an installation in a certified glider requires the more expensive TN-70. I would appreciate other input. Darryl Ramm seems to be the "go to guy" for ADS-B information. Your thoughts?