Old April 15th 05, 02:54 AM
Roy Smith

Mitty wrote:
It was a while back, but I'm pretty sure the instructions were along the line
of: "Proceed direct Gopher and hold as published at 3000, expect further
clearance at xx:xx Zulu." 3000 seems to be minimum vectoring altitude in
that area.

That makes sense. I'm not sure why you said you were "vectored into the
hold", though. You went direct to the VOR and held. Nothing vectorish
about it :-)

When I told him I was ready to go he cleared me for the approach. I
then asked for another turn in the hold to lose altitude (FAF crossing
is 2500), which was approved.

OK, here's my take on this. Since you were not vectored to the final
approach course, and were not approaching the FAF along a segment labeled
NoPT, you were required to perform a PT. A racetrack pattern is a
perfectly acceptable way of flying a PT, and it sounds like this is what
you did.

On the other hand, this is a bit of a grey area in my mind. Rather than
second guessing the controller, a quick radio call will eliminate any
possible confusion on both sides. Lack of confusion is always a good thing.

wrote the following:
Finally, let's say you missed the approach and park in that pattern
until the weather improves. Because it is a pattern that is lined up
correctly and not more than 300 feet higher than the FAF altitude, you
can go straight-in once cleared for the approach.

What does the "300 feet higher" have to do with anything? The AIM says:

5-4-9. Procedure Turn

a. A procedure turn is the maneuver prescribed when it is necessary to
perform a course reversal to establish the aircraft inbound on an
intermediate or final approach course. The procedure turn or hold in lieu of
procedure turn is a required maneuver. The procedure turn is not required
when the symbol "No PT" is shown, when RADAR VECTORING to the final approach
course is provided, when conducting a timed approach, or when the procedure
turn is not authorized.

I don't see anything in there about 300 feet.