Old March 11th 19, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

After a number of brake incidents over the years, I added a TPMS to my Cobra trailer last summer before I drove from NJ to TX (Bellacorp from Amazon). It worked as advertised most but not all the time (initially sensors would stop reporting but tightening them on the valve stem mostly resolved that).. I could see the difference in tire pressures and temperatures throughout the day, on dark vs. light pavement, and sometimes even from one side of the road vs. the other (angle of the sun). I didn't see much difference nor did it set off an alarm when the trailer brakes locked on after a hard stop. The temperature didn't climb all the way up to dangerous; I didn't drive very far before I stopped to check and then, a few miles farther, to disable the brakes. But maybe a really hot drum/brake hardware/spindle/bearings assembly, such as would have been the case if I hadn't pulled off quickly based on experience, would have goosed the temperature/pressure alarms. I suspect I would get a warning if the brakes locked on but possibly not in time to save the bearings. That's why I carry a full set, including grease seals, available online from several sources.

Chip Bearden
JB