Old August 11th 03, 06:39 AM
Jeffrey

Default Question for business jet pilots, movie S.W.A.T.

Hi folks. A question, if I may.

In the film "S.W.A.T.", a commandeered Learjet is descending for a landing
on a bridge. The pilot or copilot is going through checklists and he says,
"Go to 'forty percent flaps.' "

I'm a private pilot, and I use DEGREES of flaps (10, 20, or 30 -- and once,
in a really old 172, 40).

Am I correct in thinking that this was movie idiocy -- they spent all their
budget on Samuel L. Jackson and got a third-rate aviation consultant if they
got one at all -- or do Learjet pilots really use "percentage" of flaps?

Thanks for your help.

---Jeffrey

"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying, life:
bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky."