Old March 23rd 05, 04:13 PM
Frank Ch. Eigler

Jim Burns wrote:

I've got a problem with a cowl flap cable in our Aztec.

The other day when landing, I opened the cowl flaps to 1/2 on final,
then full open after landing. I noticed when going from 1/2 open to
full open while on the ground the left cable seemed stiff. I tried
closing the flap, then reopening and it got worse immediately, then
quit moving completely. [...]

I've had to have one cowl flap cable replaced due to a stiffness
problem like this: apparently there was some severe corrosion or decay
of some other sort within the widget. In my case, the stiffness was
not getting worse, but the asymmetry concerned me. I recall hearing
of someone local severing similar cables outright by persistent
overpowering of stiff controls.

- FChE