Old April 17th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default GPS altitude vs altimeter altitude

AIM 1-1-19a(8) tells you to not to rely upon GPS altitude. Until the AIM is
changed, I'm not concerned with the details.

Bob Gardner

"Chris W" wrote in message
It is my understanding that even if a GPS is reading perfectly and your
standard altimeter is reading perfectly even on a standard day that the 2
values will not be the same. Does anyone know about how far off they are
and if there is a way to calculate what the difference should be? My
guess is that at different points around the earth, the correction will be
significantly different, making a generic formula difficult if not
impossible to write.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want & give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift, from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com