Old November 17th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default Glider ground school syllabus

Vaughn Simon wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I understand that the 'glider
flying handbook' (FAA-H-8083-13) is the official authority, perhaps not
the best one. What other books should I consider for a primary text.

For a primary text, I would look hard at what either Wander or Knauf are
offering. To that you will add (at minimum) the ASA or Gleim private pilot test
guide, the FAR/AIM, and your local sectional. Go through the test guide and
your primary text in parallel so that all of the questions are covered by the
end of the course. Give a mock exam at the end of the course do not sign them
off until they get 80%. There are some free test prep sites on the web, find
them and aquaint your students with them.

Vaughn

It depends on what you are trying to teach. If you are teaching in
preparation to pass the Private Pilot written, then the above is fine.

If you are teaching the course to improve the quality of the skills and
safety in your club or organization, then I would certainly do the
above but I would also look at topics such as:

- In depth discussion of PT3 (covered by Knauff but requiring more
"what if" illustrations and scenarios specific to your operation)
- In depth discussion of landing scenarios specific to your operation
- Significant focus on discipline and thought process, including
Judgement Training (from Knauff)
- A little more detail on the "flight envelope", specifically with
regard to limiting speeds and weight and balance.
- etc.

I just conducted a prep-session for a student pilot who was thinking he
was about ready to take the Private Pilot glider flight test. He had
scored a 98 on the written not too long ago. I simply follow the PTS
and ask the questions as would the Examiner. It's amazing how little
"real" understanding it takes to ace the test. Most students can
answer the factual question, but even a remote probe under the surface
usually turns up a complete lack of understanding of the underlying
principles which is what really matters in the long run IMO.

P3