Old May 26th 13, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Experience with Flarm

At 19:01 24 May 2013, Evan Ludeman wrote:

Stealth mode appears to work great if all you want is anti-collision
warnin=
g. Guess what? All I want from flarm in contest flying is

anti-collision
=
warning. Again, it works well. You've said several times 'not
recommended=
' in all caps, but you've never stated a reason. If there is an
engineerin=
g or safety related reason, please state it. I'm tempted by context to
pre=
sume the real reason is marketing (the ability to track other

pilots....).

T8

From the Flarm website @
http://www.flarm.com/support/Flarm_Competitions.pdf

Stealth mode inherently reduces some of the benefits of situation awareness
for yourself and surrounding aircraft. Wedo not recommend the use of
Stealth mode, but it is better than turning FLARMĀ® off for tactical
reasons.

The aim of FLARM is to assist you in maintaining good situation awareness.
If you choose deliberately to degrade the information available to you then
you must inevitably reduce your situational awaremess AND just as important
reduce the situational awareness of another pilot, who may not even be
flying your competition, with respect for your. That is why Stealth mode is
not recommended. Like all recomendations it can be ignored but at your own
peril.