Old May 26th 13, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Experience with Flarm "Stealth" and Competition modes

On Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:24:16 PM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
On May 24, 10:36*pm, FLARM wrote: Evan, We have had no complaints about 'Stealth' not doing what it is supposed to do, so far.. Please send your log file to info@flarm with above comment. Yes, Stealth Mode is silly and should not be used, but it's a lot better to use it than to unplug FLARM for fear of being followed... Thanks FLARM I agree with Evan on this one. I have found that pilots with less talent are the main ones wanting to keep full mode in competitions. The stealth mode provides all the warnings required and non-stealth mode provides both distraction and crutches to pilots. It is on of the greatest leaching tools ever invented. The argument that Europe is not using stealth mode is apples to oranges, we are seeing better than 10 miles (16 km) constantly with PowerFLARM.. This is way more than is needed for situational awareness and safety. I think PowerFlarm is great for everyday flying, but Stealth mode should be used in competition. I have flown two nationals with PowerFlarm and found it interesting and useful but it also is drawing the pilot's focus back in the cockpit and reducing decision making by many pilots. They just follow the triangles out in front of them. TT

I beleive it should be on the Racing Pilot opinion questionaire 2013 and go with the majority opinion and the recommendations of the manufacturer.

And please send your Powerflarm back to me and I will exchange for one that operates correctly. In over 250 hours of testing I have never seen 10 Miles. The PowerFlarm on steriods you have will go in my glider.

Richard