Old May 28th 20, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Private airport or small field for landout?

I spent 29 years with hang gliders, which have much better "short field" capabilities than sailplanes. After a LOT of outlandings in really questionable fields, I was amazed at he number of other pilots who looked at those same fields from the ground and said, "No Problem!"

Believe me, a field you are walking on looks a LOT bigger than it does from the air.

Ask any newbie Naval Aviator looking down at the deck of an aircraft carrier for the first time.