View Single Post
Old May 28th 20, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Private airport or small field for landout?

Amen to that! A good example is Estancia Municipal in NM, just a hop and a skip south of Moriarty. It was always advertised as landable for gliders by the locals. On a day with not so good weather (hard to imagine but they do exist in NM!), I took a drive down there to see it from the ground. I am glad I did! The runway is narrow and there is a berm on one side. A =15m ship may be ok but a 20+m with low wings like mine may be in trouble.

Uli
'AS'

P.S.: the 'The Old Mill' restaurant on Rt.41 in Estancia has excellent Mexican food, which made the trip even worth more! :-)

I've outlanded at Estancia three or four times when my final glide calculations simply did not agree with the weather. It isn't really a problem if you land on the centerline with your wings level, and then drift left or right on rollout to place one wingtip on the runway with the high wing above the berm, brush and runway reflectors. I wouldn't consider an aerotow out of the strip unless the wind was straight down the runway and I had a wing runner who knew what he was doing.

However, I second the "Old Mill" restaurant recommendation.