Old May 28th 20, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Default Private airport or small field for landout?

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:52:53 PM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:
This is an interesting post. Where are you flying from that you seem to be totally alone? I've flown from many operations, all with an active cross country community. In any such operation, there is a vast amount of local experience with the nearby private airports. Most of the laudable ones will have been landed at. The unfriendly farmers will be known.

John then you are lucky. I live in one of the wealthiest states in the US but there are only about 4 active XC pilots in the entire state. And I think only 2 regularly fly in our state. Soaring is just not a popular thing here. Probably 9 sailplanes in the entire state. One small club on the opposite end.
Even the HG/PG pilots seem to be doing way less XC than they were 10 years ago.
Adventure has fallen out of favor.