Old March 7th 04, 04:29 PM
Richard Kaplan

"John Clonts" wrote in message

In answering these questions, consider these definintions from the
Pilot/Controller Glossary in the AIM:

PILOT'S DISCRETION - When used in conjunction with altitude assignments,
means that ATC has offered the pilot the option of starting climb or descent
whenever he wishes and conducting the climb or descent at any rate he
wishes. He may temporarily level off at any intermediate altitude. However,
once he has vacated an altitude, he may not return to that altitude.

CRUISE - Used in an ATC clearance to authorize a pilot to conduct flight at
any altitude from the minimum IFR altitude up to and including the altitude
specified in the clearance. The pilot may level off at any intermediate
altitude within this block of airspace. Climb/descent within the block is to
be made at the discretion of the pilot. However, once the pilot starts
descent and verbally reports leaving an altitude in the block, he may not
return to that altitude without additional ATC clearance. Further, it is
approval for the pilot to proceed to and make an approach at destination
airport ...

CLEARED (Type Of) APPROACH - ATC authorization for an aircraft to execute a
specific instrument approach procedure to an airport; e.g., "Cleared ILS
Runway Three Six Approach."

1) "N7NZ, cleared direct BMQ cruise 7000". Do I report subsequent

descents?

You may choose to report subsequent descent but you are not required to do
so; if you give such a report, however, then you may not climb back again
without obtaining an additional ATC clearance.

2) Its VMC and I'm IFR to Temple, level at 5000. At 25 miles out I report
Temple in sight. "N7NZ cleared visual approach to Temple, remain this
frequency til you're closer in". At this point I may descend at will,
right? When I do decide to descend, do I report leaving 5000?

You may descend when you choose to do so; there is no need for you to report
leaving 5000.

3) I'm level at 7000. "N7NZ, descend 3000 pilots discretion". Do I

report
my descent? Can I level off at an intermediate altitude, and if so, do I
eventually report leaving that altitude?E.g. "leaving 7000 descending

5000"?
Then later "leaving 5000 descending 3000"?

Yes, you may level off at an intermediate altitude. No, you are not
required to make a report if you choose to do so.

Please read the above "do I" as "am I required to". In my (small) IFR
experience to this point I have made the reports in many/all the above
cases, so I'm now trying to confirm which of them are unnecessary...

As above, you are not required to make any of these reports. Generally it
is good practice to make such reports anyway, unless the frequeny is busy,
in which case the controller may not appreciate the extra reports -- that is
a judgment call you can make in each situation. Note that in the case of a
cruise clearance, providing such an extra report may actually result in
limiting your altitude options as noted above.

As a related but interesting issue, have you ever received a CRUISE
clearance? If so, where did you get it and did you request it or was it
assigned? I have obtained all sorts of interesting clearances from ATC,
but whenever I request a CRUISE clearance the reply I usually get from ATC
implies they never heard of it or at least that they never use this -- sort
of like filing "OTP" for an IFR altitude although I have had some greater
success there.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com