Old May 4th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Which Came First, the Santa Monica Airport, Or Those Who Chose To Build Their Homes Adjacent To It?

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message
oups.com...
The more I think about how the world works the more I realize how
pointless these "who came first" arguments are. The only thing that
matters is who votes for the commissioners, who contributes money to
their campaigns, and who shows up and actually makes their voices
heard at the meetings.

If my experience is any indicator, that last one doesn't matter so much as
the one prior.

I've been to plenty of planning meetings, zoning hearings, city council
stuff, school boards, and it's quite evident that decision has been made
before anyone enter the room. It's also obvious that no logic or reason is
going to change their minds.

Unfortunately at this point in time general
aviation is on the decline, so more and more of these little battles
are going to be lost simply because there aren't enough pilots or GA
advocates out there to be heard.

Money talks.