Old June 1st 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Default Mapping Glider Locations

"COLIN LAMB" wrote in message
Hello Wayne:

To be honest, I have not reseached the answer about control - however APRS
is used frequently in vehicles and animals that are not occupied by
amateurs. They are installed in balloons, used on search dogs. I am a
ham (K7FM) and have had an APRS unit installed in my car. It shuts down
when the ignition is turned off and I have the software quit sending out
reports if there is no change in position. I am sure I could write
software that would cause the transmitter to quit transmitting a position
report when the power was turned off.

So, the answer is I do not know the fine line about control, and the main
point of the post was to let soaring pilots (many who are hams or know
hams) of available technology. If it useful, they might just want to get
a ham ticket. My wife has no interest in radio at all but studied the
question pool over a weekend and became N7WXY.

Colin Lamb

Colin,

No matter what the technical FCC rules answer, I have a nice little Garmin
stand alone unit, and an old 2 meter hand held unit. It is time for me to
spend a few buck and get out my soldering iron.

Wayne
HP-14 "Six Foxtrot"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder