Old August 9th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

Default ASW 27 vs. Ventus 2b

On Aug 8, 8:14*pm, Itsaplane wrote:
ASW 27's and Ventus 2B's are are both 15 meter (flapped) and
sailplanes -- nice ones at that!

Should they be considered equivalents or are there reasons to prefer
one over the other (based on performance, handling, price, niceness,
holding value, maintainability, availability, etc., etc.)?

Are there other sailplanes that deserve to be mentioned with these (15
meter, flapped, similar performance, similar vintage, etc.)?

One thing is that the ASW 27 polar is on the website athttp://www.alexander-schleicher.de/index_e.htm; I can't find similar
information from Schempp-Hirth on the Ventus.

I've also noticed that the 27 has a front hinging canopy and the
Ventus' hinges on the side (maybe that's why the V is listed as 5kg
lighter). *Min sink for the 27 is .52 m/s vs .51 for the Ventus.

The 27 has max/manuvering speeds of 285/215 kph (154/116 kts) vs.
Ventus' 270/180 kph -- that's a difference -- is the 27 faster?

I'd be perfectly happy to find out that preferences are sort of Ford
or Chevy like... *just curious (and still dreamin').

Eric
ER

They are both great ships - so dream away.

There isn't enough actual performance difference to worry about. For
me the real difference came in how well the various ships fit me -
both in terms of ergonomics and handling. One design was just a better
match or me. Human factors can be a real consideration in your overall
performance - if you're cramped, uncomfortable or have to expend more
energy to fly the ship well it will ultimately affect the overall
performance of the man-machine system.

At the appropriate time I'd recommend you spend some time sitting in
the cockpits of ships you're considering (demo flights are great too
if you can swing it).

9B