Old June 23rd 18, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Round vs Square E-Chute

To quote my rigger, when asked about a round vs. squa

"A Round will get you down. A Square will get you there."

His opinion is that a square, with better directional control and a lower descent rate is a viable and desirable solution for users (or unwilling victims) who have the basic skills to line up into the wind and execute even a minimal flare as the ground approaches. His advice indicates that proper training is definitely recommended, but since we are supposedly experienced aviators with a healthy desire to make it out alive, it is better to be a Pilot In Command of the emergency equipment. A steerable, lower descent rate square chute will beat any of the semi-steerable round chutes commonly used in the sailplane community. (Provided it is implemented correctly.) Of course, because of the higher forward speed of the square design, the implications of landing downwind are a significant concern. But then attempting to land a "steerable" round in high wind conditions also presents a significant danger of being slammed backwards and then dragged.

My 2000 Paraphernalia Softie is getting close to the manufacturer's 20 year life limit. I know all the pro vs. con arguments, but since it is my own little pink body that is at stake, I intend to replace the old round with a square and take some training.