Old July 1st 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default ID Theft -- Courtesy of the FAA

On Jun 30, 9:39 pm, quietguy wrote:
On Jul 1, 12:21 am, Dallas wrote:

I'm confused.

*You're* confused? Imagine *my* state of mind. This was indeed a
paper invoice from the FBO. Only underlings were on duty late on a
Saturday afternoon; higher-level people will contact me, probably on
Monday, and I'll add a follow-up under this same topic as soon as I
know more. But it seems that this was done via a self-serve pump with
no employee oversight. Watch this thread for further details.

As for sending a credit card to an address other than mine, the
scammer probably used "his" (my) personal address for the address of
record on a card (and bills) to be sent elsewhere (e.g., to a
fictitious company address at a P.O. box); there are credit-card
companies that will do that. Again, I'll post any and all details
here when I get them. The point of this initial post was to alert
people to their vulnerability to ID theft thanks to our wonderful
public servants at the FAA ...

I understand you being ****ed off, but you can't pin this on the FAA.
If someone really wanted your address/phone number/tail number, they
could easily get it from a non-FAA source.

I know for a fact that when you apply for a credit card, you have to
supply them with your social security number. If the name on the card
doesn't match the SS given, they'll reject it. This person HAD to get
your SS in some way, and theres no way they could have gotten your SS
from a FAA source.

I suggest you direct your anger in a more constructive direction.