Old August 23rd 04, 11:12 PM
Ted Wagner

Thanks Shawn, I'll take a look.

Btw, so say "It's *safe* to say everyone should land (blah blah blah)" is,
well, stating the obvious (kinda like saying "It's safe to stay on the
ground"). The pertinent question is whether it was *unsafe* for me to
continue the turn in the precise circumstances in which I found myself. I
remain open to the possibility that it was not, but in the same spirit,
being over tiger country out of reach of landable points is questionably
unsafe, yet I hear regularly of pilots doing this as a matter of routine,
especially in contests, and if I continue flying contests long enough (and I
hope to be doing them for many years), I will have to take that step many
times myself. I want to err on the side of safety, but at the same time, I
want to be reasonable and competitive.

I treat my flights like I do my skydives (4500 safe ones and counting, knock
on wood) -- from the time the plane leaves the ground, I am a dead man,
until my feet are safely back upon it; it is my responsibility to make the
right decisions and pull the right handles at the right times to avert that
fate.

-ted

"scurry" wrote in message
Ted Wagner wrote:
Paul,

Snip 1st hand account.

I can understand the temptation to keep turning. Its *safe* to say
everyone should land in under same circumstances. Doesn't mean it can't
be done, just that IMHO (and most everyone else's too) it shouldn't.
The trail of blood is pretty compelling in this case, Ted.
Scroll to the bottom for a survivor's account.
http://tinyurl.com/3jw2w

Shawn