Old October 18th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default "License to taxi"

Mxsmanic wrote:
Paul Riley writes:

Damn right they were good. I am a retired Master Army Aviator, and a PAR
controller saved my life and those of my crew one night (1965) in Vietnam.
Zero/zero , in fog, minimum fuel, no place to go. Brought me down safely in
a helicopter. Was well worth the 2 quarts of Cutty Sark I gave them the next
day. G God bless them all!!!!

So a PAR is preferable to an ILS for safety/precision in very poor
conditions, if you can find one?

These days, at airports that have the facilities to permit it,
airliners can take ILS's to the ground (CAT II, III). This is
a big change from the way it was back in the late sixties for
commercial traffic or just about anywhere (especially on ships
or mobile encampments) for the military.