Old March 8th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Global Warming The debbil made me do it

Dan wrote in news:1b8de725-9ae3-4323-8361-
:

I'll bet! Lots more work though.

Yeah, but I was in great shape then!!

I'd do it if I wasn't almost sure to be run down on the road.

Probably a BSA -- it was in Canada -- my cousins had one of every
motorized toy sold -- it was a pre-teen boy's wonderland. My uncle
built a Chalet (what they called cabins in Quebec) and all roads were
dirt (sand, really) or some scattered gravel. Not ideal for those
sorts of bikes but you couldn't go too fast or get hurt too bad.

They're nice bikes. The fifties were kind of an in between time frm the
nice light rigid read things of the thirties and the more sophisticated
sixties bikes. I've ridden a Commando, which had rubber vibration
isolaters and that made it a litle vague compared to the earlier ones,
bu tstill a great bike. There was nothing like it when it came out, then
the CB 750 appeard and the rest is history.

We actually spent most of our time on a little Honda Trail -- I think
it was one of Honda's earliest foray's into "off road."

There were two springs on either side of the rear axle but all show!

I rode one of those back then. A friend had one A 175 I think. Nice
little bikes and so solid compared to the other things!

Might explain the current affinity for Champs and Cubs?

I preferred those back then. Though the Luscombe was the one I really
liked best. I've had three of them.
My first bike was good fun, too. A '59 Cushman Eagle..

My BMW is a sprts version of the old airhead 7 series. It's a high
compression 800 so it's quick enough, but it's really nice to ride.

It
has some handling quirks, but once you ride it with some verve it
responds very well. It feels really substantial yet it's light and

you
can feel every nut and bolt clicking in perfect harmony as you rail
along.

Bertie

That's one awesome feeling....

I rode bikes for a while during my break from aviation (when I
couldn't afford it). Very similar sensations, for alot less $$.

But not exactly the same. Thus the return to the addiction.

Yeah, they are very similar feelings, but I'm a much better flyer than
rider and I don't think I'll ever "be one" with one!
Stil, good fun...

Bertie