Old August 12th 14, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

Default Securing glider trailers in shipping containers

On 12/08/2014 09:53, 2G wrote:
I have sold my glider to someone in South America. While I am not
responsible for shipping, I do want the new owner to receive the
glider in the same condition that it leaves the US. To that end, I am
interested in hearing how others have secured trailers in shipping
containers; what works and what doesn't. One unusual wrinkle: the
trailer will have its running gear removed to avoid the appearance
that it is a vehicle!

Thanks! Tom

In the 70s, before the days of 40' containers, PIK-20 gliders arrived in
Australia in nearly cylindrical fibreglass "shipping containers". Our
import regulations for vehicles then were similar to South America's
current rules apparently. After delivery, the addition of towbars,
wheels and lights turned them into quite good trailers without the
customs duties involved in importing a vehicle.

I've been involved in the importation of 6 gliders to/from Europe and
the US, both new and used and I've seen how they've been packed.
Schleichers use supports at each corner welded from 2" x 2" angle iron
bolted to the floor. The advice from
is absolutely the best. Note everything he said. Especially (1) the
bit about not removing the wheels if at all possible and (2) insuring it
to the eyeballs.

GC