Old August 12th 14, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Default Securing glider trailers in shipping containers

I totally DISAGREE with S_O_F about putting your glider on springy supports and lashing it down with shock cords. Allowing ANY movement will result in a glider "shaken, not stirred" on a long bouncy trip. With the rocking and rolling on the high seas. I am sure that the glider would puke if it could!

When I strap into my glider, I pull the belts TIGHT for a reason!

And I have heard of containers delivered upside down. But I doubt any glider would survive that no matter what you do. The treatment containers receive from transporters and shippers is brutal. You might consider including a few commercial shippers' accelerometer labels and devices to determine just how rough the trip was.

One thing I forgot to add is to make sure the glider itself is well secured inside the trailer. Bob and I add extra supports, padding and restraints inside, lest the trailer just serve as a box to keep the miscellaneous shards in one place for ease of transport.