Old August 12th 14, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

Default Securing glider trailers in shipping containers

JS has some good suggestions. We still prefer to go with a few more straps, especially to counter fore/aft movement, but his suggestion to use 2" wide straps definitely has merit. Forget the cheap, cotton 1" ratchet type from discount stores unless you intend to use three or four at EACH tiedown point. And don't even consider the pull-until-tight straps. Ratchet tightening is the ONLY way to go.

As far as insurance, I still think it is necessary, and to counter the "didn't happen on my watch" argument, take lots of digital photos of the block and brace process, as well as the finished load. And take another of the container being closed and sealed. Try to include the loadmaster in some of the photos.

The company we use takes photos of all loads they pack and keeps them on file. It is in their best interest (and yours) to also do so. Try to establish a good working relationship with the company and its workers. We use the same people over and over, and believe it or not, they remember us each time we show up. Even if we only do this once every two years. A discreet gratuity is also gratefully accepted by the guys doing the hard work.

Finally, when the shipment arrives, have the receiver ready to take more digital photos immediately on opening the container and compare them to the loading photos you presumably forwarded to them.

Best of luck!

Mark Mocho